You Are Reading

0

365: A Vow

Jap Monday, August 2, 2010 , ,

I asked for a sign on my trip to the immigration office. A white dove. Naturally, the whole 45 minutes on the upper deck of the bus, I was wide-eyed, on the lookout for a bird that was probably busy doing a day job in a wedding chapel somewhere.

The first trip hit a snag which could have been avoided if Dodeng Daga simply trusted my visa-processing skills. I have done this twice, after all. When the immigration officer interviewed me, I was a syllable away from being called stupid because of the inconsistent document that I gave them. Said document was the genius plan of Dodeng Daga who, while not really a rat, certainly resembles and thinks like the vermin.

I was given an appointment schedule for the 29th of July, just a couple of days before my visa expires. Surely it was not the sign I was hoping for. The walk out of the immigration office was a long one. I felt lost and rejected even though there hasn't been a decision yet. Still, a landslide of questions were upon me. I dodged the people passing by like a ball in a pinball machine. Each time I hit a passerby, BING!--a thought, ZING!--an idea, TOINK!--a worry. What if I won't be extended? What if I had to leave within two days? What if I can't find another job soon enough? Where should I go next?

With all those thoughts running through my brain, I didn't notice an old friend approach my side. It was Adam. Perfect. I needed a hug. He said two words: "hello" and "wait". He traded me for a phone call so, after ten minutes, I waved goodbye and grabbed some comfort food at 7-11.

By then the afternoon was just making everyone in Wan Chai sticky, irritable and thirsty. I wasn't spared of course as I itched to get on the bus. I savored the trip back home thinking it might be one of the last long bus rides I'll ever have in Hong Kong.

When I got home I can only think of one relief--a shower. And there in my small bathroom, the sign has been sitting there all along. A new bar of white Dove soap. I know we tend to force patterns and meanings into our lives but whether or not it's the sign that I was looking for, it was just what I needed at that moment. I soaped away the sweat, washed away the tears and relieved my tired spirit.

A week later and with a renewed sense of hope, I headed back to the immigration and got my visa for another year.

I had promised a few things to that imaginary dove. And keeping this blog up and running again for at least another year was just one of them. Let the countdown begin.

(Hit the orange number beside the title of this post to comment.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment