You Are Reading

1

343: The Animal Kingdom According to Matthew

Jap Monday, August 23, 2010 , , ,

Matthew's back!  My trusty companion when I'm alone in the classroom after classes is back from his Indonesian holiday.  With a hermit crab in a glass box, he gave me a hug and a kiss and said, "Sir Jay, I have a new pet!"

Matthew is our cleaner's son so he's basically part of the school family.  Matthew's obsession is the animal kingdom.  From dinosaurs to reptiles to mammals and, apparently, crustaceans, he observes, studies, and draws anything that moves.

I asked him what he did in Indonesia.  His eyes lit up and he started to stutter.  He stutters when he's excited.  "Yee, yee, yee, yeeow know, we went to the zoo!" he said.  I asked him if he went to the beach.  "Yes, but wait, aaa, aaa, aaayyy, I want to tell you about the zoo," he began his long story.

When Matthew left three weeks ago, he was mesmerized with Komodo Dragons.  But now, he's into bats.  He drew bats.  Bats with Mickey Mouse ears.  Bats with pointy ears.  Fossils of bats.  He drew a vampire, too!  I made him promise not to draw scary pictures with blood on them.

He talked about the animals he saw in Indonesia for the most part of the day.  The hermit crab kept peeking out from its shell to see if Matthew has set it free or at least stopped yakking about "optopuses" or "porchupies" or "chicken with big feathers".

Finally, Matthew drew the naughty monkey who stole his sister's food during their trip.  He also drew an elephant.  I asked him to name the monkey and the elephant.  Like a true English lad (and I'm not making this up) he named his animals after the two better known (for me at least) English Youtubers: Charlie and Alex.  Of course baby Matthew never watches Youtube so I assume it's just pure Brit genes in action.

Incidentally, Charlieissocoollike recently uploaded a music video about monkeys!  



I'm just glad my little monkey is back to keep me company.


Quick Question of the day: What name would you give YOUR monkey? 

Leave your comments to this post or your creative responses to the QQ by clicking on the orange number beside the post title. Click on Like if you enjoyed reading, Share on Facebook if you think it's a good read.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will probably call my monkey CHEETAE. hehehe. Matthew is adorable. CHA

Post a Comment