You Are Reading

0

362: Not Acting on It

Jap Thursday, August 5, 2010 , ,

The Summer Performing Arts Creative Experience (SPACE) class has gone from eight students to six.  To set the mood, I began playing "The Entertainer" on the piano.  The day's lesson: pantomime.  With all that's been happening lately, theater class seems to be a good distraction.

After playing some improv exercises, we divided the class into two groups and each group prepared a short pantomime skit.  The children gave surprising performances, especially the older boys who would usually find the class boring or corny.  As expected from the exercise, they performed it in silence, which was quite amazing given the time crunch and the action-packed material.

I felt good going into the office when the class ended, only to be brought back to reality.  "The van will pick up your things Saturday morning," The Man said.  I felt like breaking things.  I smiled and asked if we could take the afternoon off to prepare. 


From the time we stepped out of the door to lunch to the commute until we got home, Van and I discussed at length our disappointments, plans and angst about the move to a new flat.  I have learned to understand Van's way, that talking is good.  I made the mistake yesterday when I told him that I was tired of hearing about the negativity.  But the truth is, if we're not talking about it, we'll probably lose our heads.  I do have an advantage because I can vent out through my blog.  But today, I was prepared to listen and, more importantly, I was prepared to talk.

In a way, my day was at opposite ends starting it with an almost completely quiet morning with the pantomime activity and ending it with a rather talky afternoon.  The common theme though was SPACE.

When we got home, I collapsed in bed and Van went online.  The packing can wait, or we just didn't feel like it.  I can't act on something when I just don't feel like doing it.

As I write this, Van is venting out in the only other way that he can--singing.  "Please Don't Ask Me" is his first song so I guess I'll stay out of his way the rest of the evening. 

Quick Question for the day: How do you vent out?
Leave your comments to this post or your creative responses to the QQ by clicking on the orange number beside the post title.  Click on Like if you enjoyed reading, Share on Facebook if you think it's a good read. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment