You Are Reading

2

357: Done With Charity?

Jap Tuesday, August 10, 2010 , , ,

I can say that I'm a fairly positive person.  I am easily contented and maybe not for my own good.  I rarely get cynical.  But after our trip to Aberdeen, just allow me this one time when I say, I'm done with charity.  I am aware that I put a question mark at the end of my title.  (If you're my future employer, I'm not that cruel).

Aberdeen seems to hold the record for the most junk donated to charity in my book.  It's the third time that I was part of the hauling team tasked to head to Aberdeen and get some items that have been "donated" by "generous" people.  Notice the cynicism slyly expressed with the mere use of quotation marks.

A year ago, we hauled a ginormous TV.  There was also one time when we went there to clear out a whole office space, including their file folders!  Back then it dawned on me that these "donations" were clearly disguises for the more blatant free haul.  Normally, a lease would state that an apartment or office space should be cleared out first before being vacated.  And it's just too expensive to hire a clearing team.  So what does one do to save?  Donate it to charity, as long as the beneficiary is willing to pick up the donation.

So my organization has fallen victim to this for several times.  That's why when the boss called us to pick up a "donation", I wasn't too thrilled.  When he mentioned it was in Aberdeen, I got the joke.

Apparently, the items this time are too hard to pass on.  A "generous" businessman is going to transfer to a new home and he won't be needing the five new air con units that he has in his apartment.  If I'm breaking my lower-back for this, one A/C should end up in my room.

We got to Aberdeen around 6:30 PM, the sun still high and beaming across the ironically hilly Deep Water Bay Drive.  Into the elevator, I had a split-second to look at an A4 size ad which was posted right across the lifts before the doors slid close.  The ad:  For Sale: 5 Air Con Units, rarely used.  Are you with me on this when I say I'm a bit cynical now?

You know it's Ocean Park when you see a dragon tattooed on a mountain.
Apartment 13B in less than 30 seconds.  With only A and B on each floor, you can imagine how ridiculously excessive the apartment was.  The maid's quarters was bigger than my "new" room, and they had their own bathroom!  But what would've sealed the deal for any prospect buyer would be the view because 13B offered 180 degrees of spectacular.  Serene at the balcony on the left with mostly greens, a bit busy on the right with a view of the highway, and, probably the best one, the middle where the lower half of Ocean Park is doing a full frontal.  Glendale Quarters sits like a palace on a hill, magnificent at the same time inaccessible.  I wondered how the electrician will get home after he's done removing the ACs.

Looking at the view, I got to thinking.  I can do this or maybe something close to this.  I'm done being contented.  I'm done with compromise.  I'm done with contracts having to justify my relatively low salary as "part of my charity work".  I can use some selfish in my life even if it means I'll have to starve myself to get to my 13B.

We finished loading the van with all the ACs plus a circa 90s TV and an even ancient VHS Player (I know, right? That's what I've been telling you the whole time, donation my ass).  Just when we were about to leave, the electrician got off the lift and said goodbye to us.  It was dark and public transportation did not exist there so we offered him a ride.  And I'm done with charity.  Hence the question mark on the title.

Quick Question of the day: Do you think real charity exists or are charitable people taking advantage of the less privileged?

Leave your comments to this post or your creative responses to the QQ by clicking on the orange number beside the post title. Click on Like if you enjoyed reading, Share on Facebook if you think it's a good read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

derf: i remember the kindergarten in ferry pier. nga napuno ug mga 'donations' :-(

Jap said...

I know, Derf. These "donations" turn out to be useless anyway. They had to rent out a warehouse to move the stuff from the kindergarten. None of those things were ever used and they are paying three grand for the rent each month!

Post a Comment