You Are Reading

9

354: The Crescent Resurfaces

Jap Friday, August 13, 2010 , , ,

I was on the bus reading my horoscope.  It said that I should spend time with friends.  Incidentally I was on my way to meet Van.  It also said to take a gander at the moon and see a waxing crescent with a bright Venus beside it.  I looked out the bus window and sure enough, it was there--the sign of better things to come.

Almost the same scene I saw tonight.
I'm probably a Muslim deep inside because the moon's crescent has always mystified me.  Tonight it sat there on a blue-orange sunset sky.  For a moment I wondered if the Dreamworks boy was fishing for stars.  It was a good night to begin with because a friend called me up and we explored the possibility of a new job.  It got even more special when I saw the beautiful moon.  

I was excited to meet Van in Sham Shui Po to tell him of the most exciting news I have ever received since I moved to the new place.  These recent events have been pushing me to a decision that I didn't want to make until next year.

Van and I discussed our angst as usual.  We reached Mong Kok later in the evening and found a small Japanese restaurant.  No tourists, finally.  We continued our rants, alternating between miso, office talk, tonkatsu (not very Muslim then), dumplings and the mismatched couple seated beside us.  When I arrived home, what greeted me was basically the last straw.

I keep hanging on to hope and good intentions with my present job because my mom helped build the organization.  I even helped in the process when the organization opened the school.  Most of the school policies and materials like student handbook, grading system, etc., were patterned after my alma mater, University of St. La Salle Integrated School.  But lately, with this new management, I feel that I am not being treated fairly.

I hoped that Van and I would each get a room when we were asked to move.  It didn't happen.  Next, I hoped that we'd at least get a decent bunk bed to appease us.  It didn't happen either.  And that's what greeted me when I walked into the flat--a chunk of flimsy metal and two foams just over an inch thick. 

I wanted to send a text message right away to express my disappointment.  But I controlled myself.  I will not give them that privilege of knowing that I'm in a rut.  

I'm going for broke because I have self-worth and I won't allow people to treat me like they own me.  In other words, I'm leaving soon.  The crescent resurfaced to mark the coming change in my life.
  
Quick Question of the day: Does having a comfortable living space count when looking for a job (overseas) or is it a sacrifice one has to make?

Leave your comments to this post or your creative responses to the QQ by clicking on the orange number beside the post title. Click on Like if you enjoyed reading, Share on Facebook if you think it's a good read.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inshalah - Van

Anonymous said...

Inshallah - VAn

Anonymous said...

derf: Inshallah!

bitchares said...

I am s taking you with me na gd ya !!!hahaha

bitchares said...

I am soooooo taking you with me na dg ya!!! hahaha

kala said...

I think it's really important to have a comfortable living space when you're abroad, definitely. Doesn't have to be big and grand, but at least you HAVE to have some privacy, have your own room and space, etc. Crossing my fingers that the next adventure will treat you better! :)

Jap said...

Derf, Van, mag dilang anghel kayo =D

Bitcha, I had a dream about that last night!!! hahaha we got hitched so casually it was like going out for coffee lol I miss you bitcha =D mwah!

Kala, exactly! Thanks for the support, dear. I will make sure that things will get better. =D

Anonymous said...

just read this blog now and I couldn't help but think that I was as mystified by that crescent moon and bright star the other night. We were in Nasugbu Batangas and I couldn't help but notice the beautiful sky as I made those sand castles with Zia and Chito by the shore. Knowing that we were "sharing" the same star makes feel that you're not so far away. CHA

Jap said...

Cha, it was sort of calming and reassuring and I suppose for you especially being surrounded by your loved ones. Like you said, knowing that at probably the same instant, we looked up at the sky makes me feel very close to you. If were not soul mates, were very much kindred spirits. Miss you so much! =D

Post a Comment