You Are Reading

3

363: No Bull, It's Buses and Trains

Jap Wednesday, August 4, 2010 , , ,

"Taurus:  Your emotions are even-keeled today, which helps regulate your energy.  Take some time for R&R.  You've got a new phase of life ahead of you and the next four weeks will be busy!"  Hours after reading my horoscope, a phone call at the office:  "You must leave your flat and transfer to the staff quarters before Monday."

I've never been lucky with accommodations.  The last job I had in Qatar, I had to suffer six months living with the most obnoxious roomies you can imagine.  Eventually, I got the room for myself, which was not exactly a five-star hotel suite.  A room without windows is a closet in my book.  Nevertheless, I have learned to love it, mice infestation and all.

Fast forward to Hong Kong, now.  It's happening again.  No bull, this is real.  I'm moving in three days.  Pack two years' worth of accumulated bachelor junk and move in three days.  Justice is not in this city apparently.  It's not that I haven't seen it coming.  Regardless of the eerily accurate horoscope, I knew I'd have to move within this month.  But, three days?

I suppose I can enumerate the pros of the move:

  • A villa flat is more spacious than our minimalist studio-type flat.
  • Facilities: Air-conditioning, better cable TV! A fully functioning kitchen, bigger bathroom, spacious living room.
  • No more long commutes to school as it is within walking distance.
  • The scene: trees, a bicycle path and a porch.
Now let's see if the cons outweigh the pros:
  • I don't mind being with my best friend 24/7, but with two other teachers? That's a big one.
  • Privacy.  No more walking around in my undies!
  • Four people vs one bathroom.  I hate lines.
  • I'm sharing a small room!  I was expecting Van and I would each get a room.
  • Sharing.  This is going to take a while to master.  From bills to food to chores.
  • Faked absences.  With the principal in the same flat, good luck booking dates.
  • Vices.  Hide it or leave it out in the open?
  • Perfect Vicinity!  No more five minute walk to the mall, park or beach.  
  • No more LRT.  With the LRT station right across my building, I can go to any place in Hong Kong effortlessly through connecting trains and buses.  Or buses and trains.  

Cue totally random intermission:





I guess Van was right.  It's a tough deal.  I say, give us each a room and we'll be happy face during our first few months.  And as for the horoscope seers, you've been accurate, you've proven that but please, give me a reading I can actually look forward to.

Quick Question for the day:  What's your worst moving experience?
(Leave your comments or creative responses for the QQ by clicking on the orange number beside the post title.) 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All in. You know that I can think of angst twice than you do! This is it. A good wicked motivation of finding the next job!? - van

Jap said...

I hope so, Van =D

Anonymous said...

your moving experience is just a tad different but hey, I've moved to more than a dozen houses all my life. I've mastered the art of detaching myself to things and sentimentality. Remember my nick --Ice Queen aka Subzero? that about sums it up for me. ;-) On a hopeful note, it'll get better...if it doesn't then you have another topic for your blog, right? hehehe ----CHA

Post a Comment